Tuesday 15 June 2010

What ever happened to African Drums?

Everyone who has viewed the World Cup 2010 in Africa will have an opinion on the African Horns, even though at the moment I am starting to ignore the sound. Unsure if that is down to the TV comps changing the sound or just my brain ignoring it, as I am sure they are quieter on the BBC than on ITV.

But the thought did come to me, What ever happened to African Drums? It was their method of communication, celebration and ceremony in every thing I have seen with tribal Africans in it. But it seems for football they have taking up an instrument that is akin to the Aborigine horn or the Bagpipe with the way it grates on the poor person listening to it. I mean from what I recall from Tarzan, I am sure there were drums in the background, and the only horns I recall were from the elephants, as Tarzan had them trample the bad guys

So today's games are over and several players stood out and hopefully the England players can learn something from the North Koreans, like Heart, even though they struggled to maintain their shape into the second half, they really did show the spirit of the sport, even fighting enough to get a late goal.

I am also very happy to see Christian Renaldo's diving antics were quickly carded, even though he still got away with a few more dives, it was good to see a referee willing to quickly stamp it out. I also found it interesting that Portugal's game stopped the moment it happened and the Ivory Coast players were allowed to run past them and take the ball without the likes of Renaldo falling down, rolling round the floor and then demanding a card for the player. Maybe they are not as good as they thought they were?

As you can tell Renaldo is not one of my favorite players, as I just think his diving and demanding cards is just his cover to hide his flaws, as if you are as good as he thinks he is then he would not be loosing the ball so much and have to resort to frightening the opposition into staying away from him.
Maybe I am wrong and he does not dive just to put the opposition at a disadvantage, but if I am and he really does fall so often and with such effect, then maybe he should start playing for the girls team, as playing with the men is obviously too much for him.

Now onto the next days games and hopefully I can get to watch them all, as so far things keep coming up and I have to be driving someplace or other.
Has anyone noticed that the radio are not talking about the football, so once you are away from the TV you can't find out what is happening? I know one of the radio stations are supposed to be broadcasting the games or the England games but they don't come up on my car radio, so I am rushing back trying to catch whatever is left or the highlights, if I am pushed.
I have to be pushed to watch the highlights, as it is like watching a different game at times, as they are so heavily biased toward whatever team the person selecting the clips is partial to, and I want to make my own opinion of who played well.

Spain tomorrow, which should be a good game and South Africa's second game and set in the booby game morning spot is Honduras versus Chile.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/worldcup2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/table/2010/mar/22/world-cup-2010-tv-fixtures

No comments: